Warum in aller Welt...

The cost of a DIY project can quickly exceed the cost of a Squier bass (and I'm not even talking about the hours of work that aren't taken into account).
Not my experience.

You ask "Why build when you can buy?" My answer is why buy when you can build.

I've 40 years working as a carpenter, that's longer than most St Leo employed 😃

Duck egg blue on the left cost me £130 to build, 40% went on the Jess Louerio pickup. Over on the right the Dirnt was £140 in parts/materials while and the black/binding with T-bird pickup was £160. The mahogany Cabronita was quite expensive, £190, but 50% went on the TV Jones Thunderblade and Fender Deluxe bridge. White headless came in around £110. Longleaf Pine slab body was another £190 build, only because I was robbed buying the pine; it cost more than the custom over-wound pickup. Red with BiSonic was another sub £200 build.

51 style pt1.jpg51 style pt2.jpg

This last one has cost the most, £240 in parts/materials. Chambered Utile body with black walnut top, Panga Panga neck/fretboard. Custom pickup and Gotoh compensated 2 saddle bridge.

Finished 1.jpg

You ask "Why build when you can buy?" My answer is why buy when you can build.
word!

I can't build with wood, I can however build very well with metal. So personally, I don't DIY stringed instruments, but a lot of other stuff, music related or not.

Therefore I can understand and respect people who DIY instruments instead of buying just because they can and get a kick out of it. Or to save money, which is of course as well a valuable incentive to be honest.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Zurück
Oben Unten